Friday, May 12, 2006

The Perfect Stranger

"Based on the novel, 'Dinner With a Perfect Stranger' by David Gregory, 'THE PERFECT STRANGER' tells the story of Nikki, a troubled attorney who one day receives a mysterious dinner invitation from a man claiming to be Jesus of Nazareth. Throughout their evening of conversation, arguments and spirited debate, Nikki learns things she never knew about life, the universe, and most importantly, herself."

Interesting movie. At one point the girl, Nikki, asked about heaven and hell. It was like a 15 minute bit of the movie, so I won't detail it. It's pretty obvious how the conversation went. Why is there a hell? I thought God was loving. He is. blah blah blah

I walked away from the movie with this question:

"Say there's two people who are in love, but they believe two different things. One believes in heaven/hell and one does not. When they die, if the person that belived in hell etc goes to heaven for their beliefs, but their love goes to hell because they did not believe, how is that heaven? How is it perfect-ness if you are there knowing that the person that you love more than anyone in the world is burning in hell forever?

I've heard it stated that once we're in heaven we won't remember this life, therefore the people we loved won't even be ghosts of our memories. But... if that's so, then why do we even live this life? What's the point? If this answer is correct, than this life is totally pointless.

So, from that, I gather that after we die, we will remember the people who we shared this reality with. So, if we remember them, and we know, as i said in my statment above, that the love of our life is burning as we are walking on streets of gold... how are we supposed to be happy with that? That's perfection? That's eternal happiness? I think not! And... I don't know what to do with my conclusion.

Matt Klein, one of my best friends and heros, once said "I think I would rather burn in hell with the person that I love than be in heaven without them." **sigh** I'm sure it's horrible of me to say, but I think I agree.

The way that I see it is that either way it's going to be hell. If you and your love both go to hell, then, obviously, it's hell. But... if you go to heaven and your love doesn't, it's going to be hell living forever without them.

So, yeah. Questions, questions. Does it simply knock me out of a comfort zone? Um... maybe? I don't know. I'll leave that up to you."

<3

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephonovich said...

Say there's two people who are in love, but they believe two different things. One believes in heaven/hell and one does not. When they die, if the person that belived in hell etc goes to heaven for their beliefs, but their love goes to hell because they did not believe, how is that heaven?

Why does a belief equate to a reality? I can believe that when I die, pink unicorns carry my body to Disneyland, but that doesn't make it true. That's the problem with afterlifes - there's so many of them to choose from. For all I know, pink unicorns really do carry us off when we die. I understand your point, though. A utopia is not complete without love.

I've heard it stated that once we're in heaven we won't remember this life, therefore the people we loved won't even be ghosts of our memories. But... if that's so, then why do we even live this life? What's the point? If this answer is correct, than this life is totally pointless.

As disturbing an idea as it seems, nihilism actually makes a lot of sense. Despite popular belief, it does not mean we should go around continually depressed. Rather, it purports that there is no greater truth, or higher meaning to life. Enjoy it while you have it, because when it's gone, it's gone. Side note, Nietzsche called Christianity the ultimate nihilistic religion, because they are taught that life on earth is basically pointless except to gain admission to heaven. Therefore, human life is meaningless. Mind, Nietzsche was very much opposed to nihilism: he referred to it as a "poisoning of the human soul."

Good questions, all of them. Many left unanswered, but like I said, I don't think there's anything wrong with unanswered questions. Thinking is never bad.

9:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Matt Klein is a dick

4:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home